Monday, December 29, 2008

Day 1 -- Moving the litter box into the bathroom

The first step is simple enough -- Kratos must get used to pooping in the bathroom.  I moved the litter box there, and waited with baited breath.

Usually, Kratos poops right after eating his dinner.  But tonight, pooping did not seem to be on his mind.  Instead, he wandered around the apartment aimlessly, as if unsure what to do next.  Eventually, he sat at the old litter box location, meowing a sad meow of confusion and request.  I lifted him up, and put him into the litter box in the bathroom.  He escaped quickly, and this repeated for a few times until I gave up and ducked back into my bedroom.

Then, I heard that familiar scratching noise.  Uh-oh, I thought.  It sounded like Kratos scratching the wall, and for a moment, I was scared that he had pooped in the old location.  I rushed out of my room, and found Kratos indeed scratching the walls, but thankfully, without any poop, the ceremony only half-complete.  I smiled, and kept waiting.

Eventually, he made his way to the bathroom, cautiously and suspiciously.  He examined the box carefully, but when he saw me peeking in, he ran out, embarrassed.  It looked like he really wanted to go -- but was still very nervous about it.  He came back, ran, and came back again, this time bravely stepping into the box and -- yes! -- dropped a glorious mound of poop!  It was followed by the usual ineffective burying motions, but oh, at last, the poop was in place!

Kratos was embarrassed by all this.  After pooping in the new location, he suddenly became exceptionally affectionate, purring loudly next to me and consistently requesting my attention.  When I tried to walk into the bathroom to clean up the mess, he did something surprising that he had never done before -- he bit my toe, trying to prevent me from entering.  Is he feeling guilty about pooping in a new place?  Is he feeling nervous, unsure of himself and his torturous decision?  Is he afraid that he has done something wrong?

Whatever worry that was going through his head, I tried to put it out of his mind by showering him with head scratches and tummy rubs.  Well done, Kratos!  This was your first step towards kitty perfection, and you have performed well!

2 comments:

  1. ”Is he feeling guilty about pooping in a new place? Is he feeling nervous, unsure of himself and his torturous decision? Is he afraid that he has done something wrong?“ ---你想太多了。

    ReplyDelete